Saturday, March 10, 2007

Sisters Hat



Original Jan-Knit Design - 2007

Born and raised in the Pacific Northwest, the Cascade Mountain Range has always been my home. When wearing the hat, three of the lace “mountains” are visible at one time, reminding me of The Three Sisters.
My yarn is recycled from a thrifted sweater. It is 100% wool that I hand dyed with food-quality colors. The blues/purples are not unlike the sunset skies over the mountains of Oregon.

Finished size: 21” (fits adult medium)

Materials:
DK/Light Worsted (11wpi) -- Approximately 90yards.
#7 US circular needles
#7 US double point needles
Darning needle
Stitch marker (optional)

Gauge: 17 st = 4” in stockinette stitch

Beginning at lower edge:

CO 84
K 12 rnds (note: To add more length to the hat, knit more rnds here.)

Follow pattern chart for fifteen rows.





K even until piece measures 6” (or desired length) from cast-on
Begin dec:
Rnd 1: dec 4 evenly spaced
Rnd 2 and each even rnd: knit around
Rnd 3: (k8, k2tog) around
Rnd 5: (k7, k2tog) around
Rnd 7: (k6, k2tog) around
Rnd 9: (k5, k2tog) around
Rnd 11: (k4, k2tog) around
Rnd 13: (k3, k2tog) around
Rnd 15: (k2, k2tog) around
Rnd 17: (k1, k2tog) around
Rnd 19: (k2tog) around

Break yarn leaving a 6” tail. Thread tail through remaining stitches with darning needle, pulling firmly. Fasten off on inside of hat. Weave in ends. Block using preferred method appropriate for yarn.



If you have questions or find any errors, please let me know.

Enjoy!!



17 comments:

kt said...

Wow, I love the green one, but this purple beauty is stunning.

I'm jealous--a desert-dweller dreaming of relocating to the Pacific NW.....

Thanks for the pattern!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the neat pattern! I made it with size 8 needles in a bright blue Caron 1-lb. yarn and it is beautiful! Thanks for sharing the pattern.

JanKnit said...

Yay! Send a photo! I'd love to see it!

Anonymous said...

I am knitting this beautiful pattern for my donation to the hat collection at The Yarn Harlot's appearance at WEBS. :) Thanks for writing such an amazing pattern!

JanKnit said...

Wow! Thank you so much for letting me know that! I'm honored!

AllyB said...

I ran across your pattern on Ravelry and it would be perfect for my good friend for x-mas. Thanks so much for sharing your talents with the rest of us. Have a great day!

kristen said...

Hi Janet- how much yarn did you use for this hat? thanks!

JanKnit said...

Thanks for all your comments!

Kristen...since I didn't keep great notes with the first one, I had to make another!!! It took about 90yards of DK-weight yarn. Thanks for the question!!

Ina said...

Thanks for a beautiful pattern with a magnificent inspiration.

kt said...

OHMYGOSH--I just found this lovely pattern again and found my first comment made in March-now I'm getting ready to move to Seattle!!! And quite probably sit down and knit this hat for myself as a Christmas gift before the move. Cool! Merry Christmas, Jan-Knit!

Anonymous said...

kt...you're going to love the NW!! Welcome! And have fun with your new hat!!!

Natália Maria said...

I tried your model. I didn't do it with a circular needle. I did it with 5 needles.
Thank you. The model is beautiful.

Sandy said...

Always nice to see someone else's projects. Thought I'd do a mini blog walk this am before heading to work for a look see.

The darker hats are a bit hard to see the pattern in the picture, but the bright red and the white hats show are wonderful!

Very nice indeed, thanks for sharing.

Please stop in for a visit, the welcome mats always out.

Sandy

Kacey said...

I'm pretty new to knitting, so this looks a little difficult for me, but since my husband is an avid climber of south sister, I think I'll make myself one to cheer him on.

Kacey

JanKnit said...

Oh, Kacey, that's wonderful!! I can't wait to see it! Please let me know if you need any assistance.

Anonymous said...

This is such a good pattern. Thank you for it! I made three!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting your pattern. I've been looking for hat patterns for a friend who is undergoing chemo and yours is perfect for some DK weight alpaca yarn I have in my stash.

PatS